STEM Transfer Scholars Program
Transfer STEM Scholars is a cohort program that aims to support the successful academic transition of transfer students in STEM here at the University of California, Irvine. Housed under UCI’s Transfer Student Hub, this program was formed to aid transfer students in STEM in their transition to university life and completion of their bachelor’s degree.
Our symbol for our cohort program represents the transfer of energy and is used to depict the idea of transfers moving from one college to the university. As transfer students expend more energy to adapt to the quarter system, we believe the academic support provided by this cohort program allows them to continue on to their next challenge, whether that may be research, internships, or other activities on campus. This program is meant to assist these individuals in continuing to pursue their academic goals while navigating university life at UCI.
The Transfer STEM Scholars program at the University of California, Irvine strives to foster an environment of excellence for our first year transfers in STEM. Students in this program are mentored by a STEM transfer who has completed at least one academic year at UCI and has experience in either research or internship. Mentors provide academic support as they have proven to have academic success at UCI. Additionally, STEM mentees will have access to a transfer counselor for individualized academic and career advising.
- Must be a first-year transfer student in one of the following academic schools at UCI:
- School of Biological Sciences
- The Henry Samueli School of Engineering
- Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
STEM Transfer Scholars are required to meet with a transfer counselor once in the fall and as needed in winter and spring quarter.
- Faculty Connections
- Career Counseling
Mentees meet once a month per quarter on average with their mentor addressing their needs including personal, social, career, and academic support.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Students in the program will feel academically and socially prepared to enter into their second year at UCI
- Students will have knowledge of resources on campus necessary to enhance their academic experience
- Students will have knowledge of how to land research and/or internships opportunities during and after completing their degree at UCI