Major: Cognitive Science

Expected Graduation Year: Spring 2016

Community College/4-Year Institution You Transferred from: DeAnza Community College

Tell us about yourself and your recent accomplishment: I have been described as a ‘bird’ which in many ways fits. I immigrated from Pakistan to US in February 2011 and have since tried to make the most out of the opportunities presented in this country. Very early on, I had realized that the journey will have its own challenges whether academic, financial, social, or even environmental. I completed senior year at one of the most competitive and stressful schools (MVHS) of Cupertino and, instead of going into a big-named institution, went to a nearby (and the best) community college to pursue Biology. I played badminton, worked part-time, tutored and kept myself busy to block out the negatives of life, to keep myself from missing my glory days in Pakistan. I successfully transferred to UCI in 2014 but had to change my major to Cognitive Sciences which, except some minor downs, played out pretty well. However, it was my first time living miles away from home without my family and solitude facilitated reflection on somewhat rough memories. As a result, I wasn’t at my best mentally and after a while had to seek help. Surprisingly, the course of events tuned out to be even more traumatic and had a huge impact on me. I wasn’t myself anymore, I had given up. I had become so fragile and lost that I didn’t even believe in coming out of the depression I was in. After months of endless support and love from friends and family, I have been able to realize the value of my being. I may not be able to see life wholeheartedly just yet, but I have refused to not try. I feel the obligation to pay back and to show those who care that all their emotional investment is much appreciated. I can be something and I will be something because if I am still breathing, I must have a purpose to life in this world.

What advice do you have for students who are applying for scholarships, leadership opportunities, etc.?

I am pleased to say that I am one of the Coordinators for the Diversity in Medicine (DIM) Program at UCI for the year 2015-2016. It is an influential student run leadership program that encompasses a provoking seminar series in the winter quarter addressing the topics about disparities in healthcare. However, there have been a lot of other things that I applied to and never got accepted. It is hard to accept that you work hard and have the abilities to do what you apply to but the person reading your application doesn’t understand that. You can be mad and disheartened for a while and not want to try out other opportunities. However, if you prolong it too much, you may lose the even better opportunities. If I were to give up on myself after the first few rejections, I wouldn’t be where I am. You just have to think “hey it’s their loss because I could have been perfect for that spot! … oh well maybe there is something else, something better waiting for me.” So my advice to the applicants is: Yes it is okay to be down if you are rejected but don’t stop there, pursue something else because you never know when and what can change your life.